H.H. Thue and his father-in-law, C.O. Brink, built this store in Horace, ND, in 1896. It reportedly was the largest store in North Dakota at that time. By 1898 the store had $26,000 worth of inventory. Several years later this partnership ended and it became a father-son operation, the H.H. and C.H. Thue General Merchandising Store.
This store supplied local farmers and their families with stock ranging from flour, salt pork, and molasses to nails, lace and lingerie. McCormick farm machinery was also sold here. Even lumber to build houses was for sale. The post office was a part of the Thue Store for 56 years and was run by the Thue Family.
The Thue store was a large, two-story building with a basement and warehouse. The second floor was used for school plays, speakers and for living quarters. It was the town’s auditorium until a new school was built in 1937. Many children came to the store to see the six-foot cadny counter, different sizes of scales to weight almost anything, spools of thread in every color, and a huge scroll cash register. The Thue children were not allowed to “snitch” any candy. It was reported that one day H.H. followed one of his daughters out of the store, caught her near the depot and in front of everybody turned her upside down and shook the candy out of her pockets.