Martinson Cabin

Martinson Cabin-Adopt this building

Martinson Cabin

The Martison cabin was originally a barn that was built in 1913 on Broadwater Beach, Pelican Lake, Ottertail County, MN. In the late 1920’s Henry Roney had it moved back by the road and he later sold it to Henry Martinson. Henry turned the barn into his house. He put a sign on the building which reads “The House by the Side of the Road.” The cabin contains many of the Martinson’s furnishings

Henry served for 28 years as the North Dakota Deputy State Labor Commissioner. When he wasn’t working in Bismarck, Henry and his wife Melba spent time in this cottage in Minnesota. Henry was a well-known author and labor organizer. He wrote many peoms and was named Poet Laureate of North Dakota in 1967. At the age of 96, Henry had a role in the award-winning film, “Northern Lights.”