The harness shop is typical of those built in prairie towns in the early 1900’s. The harness which was placed on the animals, allowed them to pull something with their shoulders. The basic parts of harness are the bridle, reins, collar, hames and traces. Most part of harness are constructed of leather and are held in place by metal buckles and clasps. Harness shops were common before the transition to steam-powered machinery.
The Family of Thomas T. Smith maintained the shop. Tom, along with Dakota Hardware, which his grandfather founded as North Dakota Harness Co., fitted the shop with much of the period equipment to make harness’s.