Embden Depot-Adopt this building
The town of Embden, North Dakota was created shortly after the Casselton-Marion Branch of the Northern Pacific Railroad crossed Eldred Township located in southwestern Cass County. Land used by the railroad was purchased from William F. Krueger, and therefore the Northern Pacific suggested the town be named Kruegersville. Mr. Krueger disagreed and chose the name Embden after his home town in Germany with a similar name but different spelling, Emden.
In 1900, the railroad built the Embden Depot to conduct railroad business and where telegraph services were provided. The Depot which contained an office, passenger waiting room, freight dock, and agent’s quarters. The agent lived in the depot in a room that contained a small kitchen, bedroom, and private bathroom. The agent typically provided their own furniture and were charged one dollar a month for coal and lamp, one dollar in 1900 would be roughly 29 dollars today.