Bjerklie Drug Store
Jud A. Freeman built a drug store in 1887 in the city of Gilby, located northwest of Grand Forks, North Dakota. In 1889, L.P.Bjerklie purchased the store and operated it until his death in 1942. The store was then taken over by his son Elvin Bjerklie, known to residents as “Gov”, and remained in the family until 1975.
The Bjerklie’s store sold medications, ice cream, malts, sodas, candy, magazines, and cigars among other things. The Gilby drug store closed in April 1975, and the building was sold to the city. The interior of the drug store was removed and donated to the Historical Society where the Bjerklie’s drug store was recreated inside a renovated building.
The ice cream and soda fountain is still located at the back of the store. The furnishings were all recovered from the drug store in Gilby. Many of the medications, however, were donated by the North Dakota State University School of Pharmacy.