Arthur Town Hall
Constructed in the early 1890s for approximately $1,000, the town hall in Arthur, North Dakota was host to many community events until it was moved to its current location in 1971. Church services, town meetings, dances, graduations, plays, talent shows and basketball games were all held in the building. Susan Peltier, a resident of Arthur, remembered silent movies playing every Saturday night starting in the mid 1920's. The cost was ten cents per person. Various people from the community played piano to accompany the films. The movie screen rolled down from above the stage. The projector and projection room is still upstairs but is off limits to visitors. Movies with sound, or talkies as they were called, began appearing in Arthur around 1930.
The six stained glass windows on the north and south walls of the main hall are not original to the building, but came from the Little Country Theater at North Dakota State University in Fargo. The windows on the south wall honor the playwrights Johann Wolfgang Goethe, Henrick Ibsen and William Shakespeare which represent the three major languages of early settlers in this area – German, Norwegian and English. The three windows on the north wall honor Senator Justin Morrill, who introduced the bill proposing the land-grant college system in North Dakota which built North Dakota State University, the Statue of Liberty which represented new opportunity to immigrants coming to this country, and President Abraham Lincoln who signed the acts organizing Dakota Territory in 1861 and the land grant to build the Northern Pacific Railroad which helped settle this area.
The theater seats, which currently occupy the main hall, are from the old Moorhead Theater in Moorhead, Minnesota. The seats were salvaged from the theater in downtown Moorhead before being torn down during urban renewal projects of the 1960's and 1970's.